Mojang Studios, the founding company that brought Minecraft to the world, recently announced an augmented reality Minecraft game, Minecraft Earth, through a press release sent out May 17, 2019, on Minecraft’s official site. Think next level Pokémon GO!
I will warn you, the trailer is a dramatization, and as any gamer should know by now, videogame trailers are never the best representation of the final product – but it does look cool.
In the press release, it stated the four key concepts of Minecraft Earth:
- Collect! Minecraft Earth features many of the mobs you know and love, along with a bunch of new ones we can’t wait to show you. Over time, you’ll get the chance to discover unique variants, and use them to populate your builds. Minecraft pigs parading around your local park? That’s about to become your reality.
- Explore! Your real-life neighborhood is about to take on a new dimension. Gather resources, take on challenges, and experience a whole new world to discover!
- Collaborate! Build even better by teaming up with other Minecraft Earth players. You can craft amazing creations together. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!
- Survive! Sure, you’re good at fighting hostile mobs in Minecraft, but are you ready to battle Minecraft mobs in real life? Best of luck, because we’re going to put your survival skills to the test!
The closed beta sign up is currently available for anyone by going to earth.minecraft.net/en-us/sign-up and filling out the necessary information. You will need a Microsoft account to sign up, plus if you do sign up, you’ll get a free skin … and who doesn’t like free skins.
Here is some positive official information from the Minecraft Earth FAQ:
- Minecraft Earth will be available in closed beta this summer.
- Minecraft Earth will be free to play.
- Minecraft Earth is coming to iOS and Android this summer on AR-capable devices.
- Will Minecraft earth have loot boxes? No. (Thank you! However, it might be a “pay for what you want” program instead of them giving you everything for free. I mean the app is already FREE, they have to make money somehow.)
- Players and parents will be able to use Account Management to adjust safety and privacy settings. A reporting system will allow players to report any concerns in-game and on our website. In addition, we will also have a moderation team working 24/7 to manage and respond to reports.
Now, will this have the boom that Pokémon GO had? I don’t know. When Pokémon GO came out, you, your friend, your friend’s uncle, and your friend’s uncles neighbor were aimlessly walking around parks hunting Pokémon. However, this is Minecraft we’re talking about.
So, with that, we at HC GamerLife are excited to see the future of AR has in store and would love to know what you all think of Minecraft Earth in the comments below.
*This article originally published on HC GamerLife*